The former Childs Restaurant is a New York City Landmark on the historic Coney Island Boardwalk. It was designed in 1923, by Dennison & Hirons, in the style of Spanish Colonial Revival with sea-inspired detailing. Originally opened as a location within the popular Child’s Restaurant chain, the restaurant was closed in 1952. It gained new life as a candy factory until the 1980s and then fell into decay.
As part of the public-private venture to revitalize Coney Island, the building was converted to a combined theater and restaurant. Old Structures was hired to design repairs to the remaining historic walls. The facade is brick, covered with sand-colored stucco and numerous maritime ornamentations in terra cotta. Our work focussed on the structural capacity of and repairs to the original masonry. As a separate part of the project, we facilitated the construction of a new steel structure to stabilize the building. Our work was coordinated with the replication, repair, and resetting of ornamental terra cotta.
In 2016 part of the revitalized building was reopened as the Ford Amphitheater and a rooftop restaurant. In 2017, the remaining indoor space was opened to the public, as Kitchen 21, a five-in-one restaurant venue.
This project received a Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award in 2018.